Coaches and Officers
With her unique background of elite athletic achievements and education, Ina inspires our young fencers to reach for their best in practice, school, at home, and with friends. She creates the needed environment for our students to actively engage in their own development and helps them learn from their achievements and mistakes. In this process our young fencers engage in critical thinking, develop resilience, build confidence, and take responsibility for their actions as well as take pride in their accomplishments.
As IFC's ultimate goal is to see our students become successful in life, Ina's athlete-centered approach allows her students to actively participate in the decision making process of their own development as well as to influence the overall direction of the IFC Youth Program. As a result, our students learn to make informed choices and transform into leaders inspiring others.
Ina has coached fencing for 16 years in the U.S. and has developed athletes to compete at the US Fencing Olympic Trials. Many of her fencers, who start as beginners, achieve USFA "A" rating and become nationally ranked. Several attend prestigious universities such as Yale, Johns Hopkins, Duke, MIT, Northwestern University, and Purdue. Ina also coaches some of our older members who enjoy success at local and national levels.
- 1st Place, Senior Men's Epee Team, USFA Summer Nationals, 2013
- 1st Place, Women's Open Epee Team, USFA Summer Nationals, 2005
- 1st Place, Div. 1A Women's Epee, USFA Summer Nationals, 2004
- 2nd Place, Div. 1A Men's Epee, USFA Summer Nationals, 2012, 2013
- 3rd Place, Veterans 70 Men's Epee, USFA Summer Nationals, 2011
- 4th Place, Senior Men's Epee Team, USFA Summer Nationals, 2012
- 5th place, Junior Men's Epee Team, USFA Junior Olympics, 2010
- Doctor of Clinical Psychology, Illinois School of Professional Psychology
- Master's Degree in Educational Leadership, DePaul University
- Bachelors Degree in Physical Education and Swimming from the National Sports Academy of Bulgaria
Coach Ina's Competitive Achievements:
- 1st Place, Women's Epee Open Team, USFA Summer Nationals, 2005
- 1st Place, World Cup in Modern Pentathlon, 1994
- 1st Place, Bulgarian Championships in Women's Epee, 1994
- 3rd Place, World Cup in Modern Pentathlon, 1993
- Seven Times Bulgarian Champion in Modern Pentathlon, 1989-1995
Coach Fernando is the US Fencing Association Illinois Division Chair and Head Fencing Coach of the Stevenson High School fencing program. He has 30 years of coaching experience. Many of his athletes achieve great success at national levels. He is available for private lessons in foil or saber.
Meet the Officers
Bob Baldwin, IFC President, retired technical business magazine editor, began fencing in 1954 at the Kansas City Fencing Club. He fenced for the Detroit Fencers Club and Halberstadt Fencers Club (San Francisco) before joining IFC in the mid1970s. He is a nationally ranked veteran fencer.
Ina Harizanova, IFC Vice-President and Director of Youth Programs.
John Lartz, IFC treasurer, an attorney, is a nationally ranked competitor who began his fencing career at Purdue University, John competes on the local and national level and helps fencers in our youth program.